RCU Forums - View Single Post - Northstar follow up : ARROW by Laddie Mikulasko !
Old 10-19-2004, 01:06 AM
rcairplanenut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: northstar help

ORIGINAL: jrf

ORIGINAL: rcairplanenut

the prop is half a foot above the CG changeing the angle will not help there is no horizontal conponent

sg
Ahhh.. You are saying that the thrust angle of the engine doesn't matter because it is so far from the centerline of the airplane? So you could have 10 degrees upthrust or 10 degrees downthrust and it would fly the same? How about a Sea Master, Mariner or Sea Dancer? The thrust angle doesn't matter? Sorry my friend, you'd better rethink that one.

Jim
[>:]

You are comparing apples and oranges the Arrow is totally different then the Sea Master configuration aircraft. In the context of this argument the Arrow’s prop is close to or right on the CG. The Sea Master configuration aircraft have there props at or in front of the Leading Edge far away from the CG.

Sea masters and those other planes have there props several inches in front of the CG the Arrows prop is right on top of the CG, the purpose of Up or Down thrust is to produce a small amount of thrust at a distance from the CG. Force “trust” multiplied times a distance produces a moment “torq” this torq counter acts pitch up or down tendencies. If you multiply a number by 0 YOU WILL ALLWAYS GET 0 (math & algebra 101 “pal) , The horizontal distance from the prop to the CG is extremely small, mine sits right on the CG. For my plane giving up or down thrust times 0 distance will not do anything!!!! The reason it works on the other type of planes is that the prop is not on or near the CG they are on the leading edge several inches in front of the CG.

So what I would recommend for you Jim is get a set of Arrow plans (if you haven’t all ready) so YOU would know what you are talking about.

I do happen to have an Aeronautical / Aerospace Engineering degree so I do know what I’m talking about.

I don’t want to be a Jerk but 0 X anything = 0 all the time every day 365 days a year.

SG BSAE ERAU