RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 07:48 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!

Guys .. do the math.. this conversion is a NO BRAINER!!

My original setup with 20oz stock tank 11 pounds 4 oz + weight of fuel (over 12 pounds if using a full tank)

My new setup with 12 oz tank = 9pounds 14 oz wet. 9 pounds 2 oz dry.

The only thing I did different was cut of the nose (-4 oz)
Not have to use lead in the tail (-3 oz)
Not have to put servo trays in the tail (-2oz)
I also HAD to put the 5-cell NiMh (heavy) battery (11oz) in the tail far aft to balance.

Total weight savings on the nose job = 9 oz NOT 2 oz

Also a HUGE benefit of doing the nose job is that it allows you to put the battery AT THE CG. This allowed me to replace the heavy NiMh and put in a Li-Ion 1800 mah + small regulator. Savings = 6 more oz. That setup is 1/2 the weight of the NiMh. I can now adjust the CG at will simply by moving the batttery a few inches for or aft.

As far as the linkages being short... I replaced that stock binding crap with Sullivan Golden Rods.. they work extremely smoothe with no binding at all. Using the servos in the tail REQUIRED the use of either 4-40 hardware (heavy) or carbon fiber pushrods (still adds more weight). The Gold'n Rods weigh less than either.

I also built the wing using ailerons only. The quad flaps are useless on this plane.. so is the extra weight of two more servos...

Total savings = 11.25 # - 9.15 #

That is a total savings of 2.1 pounds! That is 19% of the total original weight. HUGE.

I measured this with a high accuracy digital strain gauge I am confident the number is dead on.
Both kits in the box weighed the same before starting. Plywood is less subject to variation than balsa.

I flew one gallon through the plane today. If you have ever flown a U Can Do 3d 40 size with a Saito 72 or 100 engine in it... this is not far off at all. I moved the battery back just slightly to balance it just aft of the factory setting. PERFECT. Slightly tail heavy is just right.

Easiest plane to hover I have even had. Does inside loops on the deck within one fuselage length (plenty of gasps on that stunt!!) , harriers, lands in place in a 5 mph headwind.. in one word .. AWESOME. I was NEVER able to do that with the old plane and could barely do it with a UCD (I'm not the greatest 3Der..)

I don't know if this is a good thing or not .. but I found myself doing more and more stuff I never dreamed of with the first USL...and a LOT closer to the ground. Not a single incident or "almost lost it" though.. very cool how it floats and recovers.

I am very pleased with the outcome. I flew most of the day today.. everyone was asking about what it was and whether I designed it!! When they found out it was a USL they could not believe it!! I was doing some really wild stuff and overall just had a blast.

I am probably going to get a set of CF gear made for it. I am sure I can take another 4 oz out that way. You could put wood gear on this plane and never need it it lands so gently and slow.. even in a good wind, in fact, I harrier landed in my pit nearly every landing today in a very slight cross wind with some good throttle management (and no company!!)

Honestly - this plane is so stable it will make even a marginal 3D flyer look good. It won't do everyting ( I tried a flat spin and it was horrible!) but at this weight and putting it a little tail heavy.. it is pretty amazing. I can't say enough!!!!!

With all the "good" IMAC flyers down at the shootout this weekend I can be a big fish in a small pound... at least until next week!!

I'm smilin!
DP