RCU Forums - View Single Post - PICA Spitfire 1/5 Please Help
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2004, 01:02 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PICA Spitfire 1/5 Please Help

Spitfire 7856: The CG is 4.5 inches aft of the leading edge, right at the rear of former F-6. The older kits had the CG too far back and many crashed. I've read one of the original reviews in RC Modeler and this is what happened to the review plane. They built a second plane with a revised CG and it was fine. There is also another review in RC Report. The main complaint is the amount of lead needed to balance the plane. I had a G-62 in mine and still needed about 3 lbs of lead in the nose. If you have a light engine then 5 lbs of lead may not be far off. I also am using a Gene Barton spinner which has a soild 1/4" aluminum backplate, and STILL needed the lead. Now I'm putting in a 3w-50i and figure on up to four lbs. We'll see, should have an idea here sometime next month.

Gene: plans show elevator throw at 17 degrees up and down, Ailerons at 25 degrees up and down, and flaps 60 degrees. I'd have these as high rates to start with. My first two flights showed me the elevator is very sensitive, and when I get it airborne again I'll be more judicious about my control throws. Also, I have the plans and instruction manual (plans in front of me, manual somewhere) and would copy them and send them to you if you cover costs.
Hope that helps,
Sam