RCU Forums - View Single Post - show us ur skybolts
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 12:46 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: show us ur skybolts

Ok, It's time to show my shame

My Skybolt is 11 years old this Xmas and it has been through hell and back. It has been retired at least 5 times, but each time, I wind up needing it again and dragging it out and throwing an engine and radio in it (it is about to be retired again)

Looking at the pics, it's plain to see why it's being retired:

Pic 1
The Cowl. I have had several engines in it, so the cowl has had to be modified a few times. Once it came loose and rubbed against the back of the spinner causing the rather large prop hole.

Pic 2
Various taped and untaped holes in the covering

Pic 3
A Field repair to the stab after a spectator stepped on it [:@] (No covering)
And a Major repair to the wings after they were both sheared off by a sapling on a dead-stick landing [:@] [:@] [:@] (Covered with Clear monokote)

And 4
The chin area behind the cowl was lost in the same dead-stick landing that sheared off the wings (But it makes a dandy place to install the smoke pump! )

Behind the wing, two access panels were cut to install battery packs (One to offset the weight of the heavier YS Engine, and the other to offset the weight of the smoke pump). Both panels were held down with packing tape, but the smoke oil loosened the tape and the hatched went bye-bye.

But for those of you who have seen the videos, you know she still can bore holes in the sky!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96274.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	188504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32646.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	188505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73613.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	100.4 KB