RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cam For Aerobird Challenger On The Way (Many Plane Prep Questions)
Old 11-01-2004, 09:29 AM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cam For Aerobird Challenger On The Way (Many Plane Prep Questions)

Thanks for the input on the components. Haven't done anything as I'm waiting to try the chokes/caps circuit on the regulator. Didn't bother testing the simple cap/diode noise circuit 'cuz if I can get the regulator working with the plane that's going to be the best setup.

Sorry about the crash but glad to hear the Challenger made it out OK. I know, they are tough little birds. I haven't been flying either due to wind conditions and other obligations.

However, a couple of days ago I did go with my friend to look for his brand new replacement Challenger (the guy who lost it a week or so ago). Where he was flying it there was a field about 100 yards across. Beyond this field was some woods, and then beyond that was an even larger dirt field with woods around it. The plane (as it was getting away from him) looked to be over the larger field in the back. He could hardly see the plane when he gave up, and saw it dive to the right as it went down.

Based on this data we walked straight back there past the larger field and believe it is in the woods somewhere along it's back parameter. Did some walking in the woods and couldn't spy it on the ground or in a tree, even with most of the leaves being gone. These woods don't have too many trees, but are rather more scrub brush towards ground level with not much tree canopy.

For this reason I think using my plane with the camera would have a good chance of spotting it, as the ground is mostly brown now and his plane is orange wings and all. I would think it would stick out like a sore thumb in these conditions. Trying to walk the woods isn't too much help as much of it is thick briar patches about six feet high, limiting access and ability to see.

One other idea I want to try with him is for him to stand where he was flying the plane. I'll then go to the back field and fly my plane while talking with him on a cell phone. He can then tell me where to put the plane height and distance to make it appear about where his was in the sky. This should give us a good idea of what general area to conduct are search in.

Have you made any more attempts to find the Commander. Anyway, back with more when I have something to report on the camera.