RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skymaster Gripen Almost there
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 09:57 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster Gripen Almost there

Ok guys.... here is some feedback...

I did not experience any of the issues reported here regarding the Gripen. Flight performance on the P-80 was excellent, quite fast with good vertical. After some initial discussion with Duke regarding control throws I decided to set the Gripen up more like my Euro. Since I have hundreds of flights on delta/canard type aircraft, I felt the control throws indicated by Skymaster were a bit off for my style of flying.... Canard setting seemed too high and elevons seemed too low so my initial settings looked like this....

Canard Up - 25mm
Canard Down - 20-mm
Elevator Up/Down - 35mm 40% expo
Aileron - 12mm *no differential 30% expo
CG was at 150mm
Dual rates were set at 70% with nose steering at 30%

After rotation I spent the first few minutes feeling the plane out, feeding my caller changes I need to make. Ail rate was too sensitive, kicked them down to low rate, elevator felt good but a bit too soft in center so expo adjustment required. Rest of the flight I just got familiar with the plane and tested the envelope a bit. I was quite amazed to see how slow the Gripen would get without stalling. Even with the higher wing loading it will still slow down nicely. On flight two I did test the plane all the way to stall and found it does drop a wing, need to play with the CG and settings a bit to see if I can get it to just drop the nose instead. I also found that at slower speeds the plane would get a bit sensitive in pitch. Low rate elevator did not feel comfortable a slow speed so I think the solution will be to set up a landing condition which cuts down the canard rate a bit although a shift forward in CG may work as well. Because of the pitch sensitivity I was having a little difficulty slowing the gripen down for landing but once down it does seem to stick. Since I only managed two flights on the Gripen yesterday and have not completed the tuning of the airframe I will hold off on posting my final throws, CG and expo until after the FIJR rally this week. I should have things well tweaked next Monday .

Here is the maiden [link=http://www.dreamworksrc.com/Video/gripen1.wmv]Video[/link]

Questions?
Todd