RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dynaflite SE-5a servo question
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflite SE-5a servo question

Hi,

I did not move the top wing down, I really thought about it but am glad I didnt. It looks great the way it is and I am not sure I am a good enough builder to get everything right without the included jigs. One problem I had while building was that the stringers joining the front fuse side to the rear fuse side was shorter on the port side than the starboard side. When the fuses where joined it caused a fishtail to develope. The result was that I had to cut it apart and make my own stringers for the port side to match up. Other than that, the kit was fun to build. By the way, when it says "put the left over balsa aside for later use" DO IT, lol. They seem to use almost every scrap someplace. I had to go buy some 1/16 sheeting because I misplaced a small piece. A .91 four stroke will fly this very well indeed. A .70 four stroke should also, not sure about a diesel conversion, never tried one out before, let me know how it works. I covered mine using Sig Balsarite for cloth and several yards of Polyester cloth from a fabric store. I wanted to try it out. Turned out ok, the problems where in my skill not the material. I painted the model with Krylon spray Camo green and then sealed it with clear poly water based. Then another coat of Camo green to give it that flat look. My last coat was not heavy enough and the narrow spray tip left streaks after the paint cured. I didnt notice until then. But I already had the plane assembled and ready to fly by that time. I will strip it down and repaint it this winter. I am not really sure what to tell you about flying this bird, other than DO IT. It flys GREAT. Very very gental, easy to fly , great takeoffs, and the landings are so easy.....lol, I idled in and let it float, it will touch the skid first and the gently drop down on the front wheels. THAT REMINDS ME..........recut the tail skid to give it much more of a raked angle. I pinned my CA hinges in to the rudder but when you land on Grass the tail skid has such a perpendicular angle to the ground that the stress will tear the rudder out, even with pins. You want the tail skid to glide not grab. Course, all the tail first landings that I was doing had a hand in this but the angle is to sharp as it is. I had read a warning about that myself before I started building. I put more of an angle in but even it was not enough. Really rake it. Make a new one from stock plywood if you have to. I am going to get someone to take a video of my tailskid first landing to put on here, it really is wild to watch. THis plane is my new favorite (I have a BalsaUSA Eindecker with 25cc gas, GiantScalePlanes P47 ASP 1.20, Carl Goldberg 1.20 Ultimate and the SE5 is the most fun to fly) Good luck and happy flying.