RCU Forums - View Single Post - Optimal Fuselage Design
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 11:24 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Optimal Fuselage Design

Bob,

The world of aviation owes you a debt of gratitude for your amazing discovery.

The Lancair 360 is wider at the trailing edge than at any point forward. It was the precursor to the Lancair IV and dates to the 80's. The Glassair low wing planes also used your amazing concept. I worked on both a Lancair 360 and Glassair III. I later got to fly in them.

As to Cherokees and other low wing spam cans being wider in the front seat, it is predominately because the back of the rear seats is behind the trailing edge. Ever actually look out of the second row and see the trailing edge? Doh!

I've flown a lot of hours in a lot of different airplanes, left seat and right seat, and the Cherokee series fly just fine. Yes, the PA-28's and PA-32's with the semi-tapered wings fly better. But any capable pilot adjusts to the airplane. My favorite transit airplane to fly is the Mooney M20C and my second favorite is the V-35 Bonanza.

I looked through some F1 3-views and from what I see, a number of plane designers owe you big time for your discovery.

I have one simple question. Which has more drag at a slight AoA, a straight flat surface, or a curved surface? Please enlighten me.