RCU Forums - View Single Post - Optimal Fuselage Design
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 12:58 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Optimal Fuselage Design

Guys, hope you don't mind me butting in for a minute, and asking a question or two? Do you think the flow is seperating aft of the wing or aft of the widest point, where the fuse. "pinches" in? That would cause turbulence and drag, wouldn't it? I was just looking at my plastic model of the Mitsubishi J2M "Jack" (WWII fighter) and the fuse. is convex, kind of like an elongated teardrop, with the widest point about where the cockpit is. Since it's hard for us mere mortals to improve on nature, maybe an elongated teardrop, or perhaps a high speed fish like the Barracuda would make a really nice fuse.? How about a "Flying Fish" style fuse.?
Another part that kind of confuses me is that the prop accelerates the flow along the fuselage, and it's swirling in a helical ring like a corkscrew around the length of the fuse. Guess what I'm saying is that it's very turbulent, and would it be better to "go with the flow" or try to straighten it out (which it would seem, cause more drag)? How much do you think the swirling "corkscrew" straightens out as speed increases? We've got a little "debate" going on in our club, about square corners vs. a rounded fuselage cross section and which is better. Thanks...