RCU Forums - View Single Post - Optimal Fuselage Design
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 10:44 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Optimal Fuselage Design

Bob,

I've also flown in a metallic burgandy Venture out of Hartsville, SC after a South Carolina breakfast club. 300 knots in a prop plane is truly a trip. I did not fly it, nor was flying it offered to me. That was about 7-8 years ago, and I seem to remember a 120 knot approach crossing the threshold at 90-100 knots.

The web site you listed links for sells paint schemes. Their line drawings are not accurate 3-views. The Glassair III almost looks like a caricature. The nose is too wide.

It so happened that the Charlotte Aeromodelers had their monthly club meeting at a restaurant near Wilgrove Airport where I learned to fly. I stopped in and N4168J, a 150hp 1965 Cherokee 140, had just come in. After catching up with some friends I hadn't seen in a while, I got a good friend by the name of Melvin Carriker to help me measure 68 Juliet. Here's what we got:

Fuselage Width at front of wing: 43"
Fuselage Width at flap hinge line: 44.5"
Fuselage Wicth at trailing edge: 42"

The progression was straight to the flap hinge line, which is where the tail taper starts. I forgot to measure the flap width but it is approximately 8-9". So the wide point on a PA28-140 is almost at the trailing edge. Since the gap at the flaps are a drag source, it doesn't really matter that the wide point be all the way to the rear of the wing.

In terms of the Lancair IV, it was a clean sheet of paper airplane. It borrowed from the 200/320/360 stylistically, but the fuselage was a new design. Just as the Katana DA-40 borrowed from the DA-20 (which I have also flown out of Concord, NC), the IV was not just a stretched version of the prior planes. The 200/320/360 did not have wing fillets, or at the very least they were very small.

In terms of the [link]http://www.aircraftpaintschemes.com[/link] line drawings, have another look at the Lancair IVP. Note that the nose is pointy. That is possibly a top view of the Lancair PropJet, but it most certainly is NOT an accurate top view of a IV or IVP.

I don't mean you any disrespect. I think your experimentation is great. I may even have to try your swept wing planform.

I do want to thank you for indirectly getting back to Wilgrove to see some old friends. I found out that my friend Alan Cobb now owns and runs the FBO. He still has his Seneca (I) and Citabria. And I got offers to go flying. I lost my medical because of medications I was taking for Crohn's Disease. But I am coming off of the FAA offensive drug I was taking, so I should be able to start flying with a Sportsman Pilots license after I get the medical cleared up. And I also found out that another friend who owns an Arrow that I've flown a lot just bought an Aeronca Chief to get some tail dragger time in before he finishes his RV-4 that I also helped on.

My wife has said that I can fly fullscale or models, but not both. But if I get to fly fullscale for free, I may just get a 2 for 1.

OAO