RCU Forums - View Single Post - SEAMASTER???
Thread: SEAMASTER???
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 07:07 PM
magyarbacsi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SEAMASTER???

All that I read about the Mariner prompted me to buy one. I'm not a novice nor an expert and have been flying off-and-on for over 10 yrs including planes I've put on floats. Either I have lost my touch or the kit (ARF) Mariner is a lemon, but I have not had more than two short flights and two not so graceful landings. The Model itself was not as impressive as what I have read. The rough wood fiber almost protruded through the covering in some areas. Should have sanded before covering. Once I got it off the water it was tricky to level it out and each time you changed throttle setting the attitude dramatically changed. During my last flight, the engine, a Royal 46, quit as the plane was flying into the 10-15 mph wind, just about 5' above the water. Stalled and nosed down. The not so graceful splash snapped the pod and damaged the wing next to it. Second time this happened so I'll have to make another bod and rebuild the wing. So a combination of not so user friendly kit and a motor not running well has forced me to have a negative feeling toward the Mariner.

In the process of finishing an T.T Seamaster. What a difference in the finish. Nice and smooth and the little imperfection in the covering(the Mariner was plagued with it) wa easily ironed out. From the looks of the construction, I think the Seamaster will be a better flier. Maybe a bit heavier but the flat bottom of the Seamaster will be easier to lift off the water and the wing is semi -symmetrical as opposed to the Mariner's full symmetrical (warped) wing. The Mariner took a lot of up elevator and a long run to get it up. Be ready to release the elevator after lift-off or it will climb straight up, stall and come back down.

Also have a Seamonster on the way. Of the three, I've only flown the Mariner. Will strip it down, sand it, re set the wing incidence that was way off and get a better motor. Thats also on the way.