RCU Forums - View Single Post - Installing SIG hinges
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Redback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installing SIG hinges

Make sure that you cut the hinge slots before you bevel the aileron and elevator LEs. As far as I recall the instructions suggest the other way round (I am just completing SE #2) but it's a lot easier to slot first.

I bought one of the fork type hinging kits, I gave up on using the forks but still find the centering tool that came with it useful.

Procedure I used is as follows:-

1. Make sure the ends that are to be slotted are flat. This especially applies to the wing TEs which should have been sanded flat.
2. Carefully mark centres where you want to cut the hinges. This is where I use the centering gadget, but only to draw a line (rather than to guide the forks).
3. Very carefully go along the line you have drawn with your #11 blade. If you don't get this first cut central it will be hard to correct later. I sometimes take a series of small nibbles along the line then join them up.
4. Once you have a guide line cut things get easier. Just keep working it deeper until you have the depth you need.

Hope this makes sense. Works for me but there are probably a million other ways.

Enjoy the SE but be aware that you are now in danger of becoming a serial SE builder! Just look around the forum and see how many people refer to their second or third SE. SE's do not encourage conservative flying.

Good luck

Terry