RCU Forums - View Single Post - Alfa Model Mig 15
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 11:08 AM
blue action

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alfa Model Mig 15

Hi there, sorry for interrupting, I hope this is the right place to post a question about the EDF assembly for the Alfa Mig15.

I have just finished the assembly of the EDF power unit with the MJ 25-26 Mk2 motor and hooked it up. Nice thrust, I can blow a door open from 5ft away

Regarding the vibrations, how can you tell if the vibrations are 'good' or 'too much'? The instructions tell you to be very prudent with balancing the aluminium plug, adjusting the fan etc. to remove vibrations to improve performance and life time of engine bearings. Well I can tell you the thing is screaming (seems to have the same aggressive sound as on Andy Steere's videos) and after a couple of minutes holding the fan in my hands at 50-70% thrust my hand feels kinda numb and shaky. I guess there are some vibrations, but hey the thing is spinning at 30-40000 rpm so what do you expect.

So here's my question. Would you guys recommend to disassemble the whole thing and do more balancing to try to eliminate the vibes? I can't get the fan off easily any more as the screw holding it won't come off (it turns the aluminium plug and motor shaft and I can't hold it).

Another question regarding wing gluing. My packet came without that 'UHU' but only 5min epoxy. Will it be OK to glue everything (also wings) with the epoxy? (sanding and poking surface areas)?

Thanks!!