RCU Forums - View Single Post - When should I join the AMA?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: When should I join the AMA?

ORIGINAL: bryris

OK....thats exactly what I needed to know. I have flown my slow stick a bit, and I fly full-scale, but never a real glow powered airplane. I am going to join my local club (Propbusters in Lakeland, FL - if anyone else is a member) in Jan, so I want to make sure my membership is active when the time comes.

Thanks for the information. I'll get the papers moving really soon then!
Join AMA? YESTERDAY!!

Welcome to the SPORT. Now may I advise that before you go out to the club and ask for help, get that "I fly full-scale" chip off each shoulder. That helps with pitch, power, and bank as you understand the relationships. Other than that RC is a foreign skill to learn and like anything else it takes some ego bruises.

When I first got into RC, about '71, I built my Trainer, went out to an outlaw field, no one there so I taxied it around a bit. Then I thought that as a hard core CL/FF modeler of 20+ years plus having been a supersonic jet jockey, I should be well able to handle this toy. Let me just say the the next couple minutes were filled with a display of ground evasive maneuvers that one could ever witness. The last one did not evade!![X(]

When I got it all back together, I asked for help. No buddy boxes back then but only a couple flights with help and I was off on my own. Yet after all these years I still fail to evade the ground now and then.[:'(]

By the way, what is your first machine? Please don't tell me a P-51 with retracts or a gin-u-wine 3D!!