RCU Forums - View Single Post - Alfa Model Mig 15
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 08:31 PM
the Swamp Fox
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alfa Model Mig 15

Hey all ,

My ALFA fan was starting to sound a little rough and the rotor blades have a few chips and performance is down

picked up a VASA55 fan and a e-flite park 400 4200kv + a FSK F-16 at the local shop . Didn't feel like waiting on anything ...wanted to continue MiG patrols as scheduled. Then migrate the vasa combo into the FSK .
wedged the new fan /motor in the MiG ..
ran up on wattmeter on a TP2100 genII 3s --- 19a 194 watts settling to about 17a 184w
this compared to 12a 130w on the mpjet mk II /Alfa fan .

thrust seemed very nice !

High hopes

Test flight was on a Tanic 1550
.65ozl weight gain in the motor caused proper CG to be a little tricky to achieve .
Was a little tail heavy ,but I have a few hours on this plane so I figured no worries .

I go to the field , getting out of the car I turn to grab my radio and mangage to "Karate chop "the port elevator and stab in half .DOH!

%#**!!! Clean break so I run home 5 min epoxy repair never tell it happened . *Whew*

back to the field ... ignored the omens

First launch a near disaster ! This from the easiest handlauncher I own . Climbed up, she wanted to stall.l Held on the power until I could get a wing over then cut power and pulled out easy and slid in ...*whew *

second : adjusted CG still had pitch up, but got her settled by holding down stick...
third ...just 'cause...I was dissappointed ,thinking my thrustline was off .

performance wasn't what I was after ..

today, switched to the heavier TP2100 AHHHH...ok Here We go~!

1. cg was on
2. Same numbers as wattmeter with the Tanic. Was balance NOT thrustline...whew again ... + I noticed a little postive reflex in ailerons which I introduced inadvertantly I 'spose when I refit her. AHAH!!! That's why preflights are so critical ...I tend to rush those .

grooved nicely ...decent gain in top end around 5-7k maybe

nicer climbouts ...Extra weight gave me more speed in dives which I could use in transition for tighter rolls and big invert climbouts with no stalls at the top as before (sometimes)

downside ...little longer approaches and more load on those wings

The Vasa runs quiet and smooth ..I forgot to limit flight to 5-7
checked timer .. 12 minutes landed at dusk...everything just a tad warm .

Good luck all, and get those Migs up..Sabres spotted 12 0'clock high!

Loopman,
Born raised in Charleston/Islands myself .
But there aint no condos out here
only commercial is farming and 1 tiny store.
no gas station
no police
loads of Spottail off the dock
ahhh...yesss.....