RCU Forums - View Single Post - ....and there she sits.
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Farmbuyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ....and there she sits.

I put my Alpha trainer up in a tree at least that tall. Half of the wing did come down soon after the crash. There was a horrific scream from the engine when it lost it's three blades and then sudden silence. I had to retreat (across the state line back to work) and return two weeks later. In the meantime it had rained 5" and had horrendous winds. I had no hope.....

I took a slingshot (the one with a wrist strap) and a fishing sinker and a fishing pole. I didn't think I could cast that high with any accuracy so I slingshotted the sinker and line over the limb near the plane. Took about 10 tries. Just cut the sinker off, reel in the line and try again. The sinker just pulled the fishing line all the way back to the ground. I tied a heavier line to this and hauled it over and then hauled over a rope. (I had cable and a tractor in reserve, something was coming down out of that tree!).

We were able to shake it out with the rope and down it came. I took it apart and let it all dry out from two weeks in the tree. Two days later I tested the radio and it worked perfectly! The fuselage had a slight bow in it where the wing attaches due to moisture. I rebuilt the plane and the motor (shattered connecting rod from the overspeeding) and flew it from then on.
Good Luck, Greg