RCU Forums - View Single Post - 'Wild Thing' Construction Pictures
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 'Wild Thing' Construction Pictures

Keep the pictures coming. If I see something that looks wrong, I'll bring it to your attention. Looks like you are on the right track so far. What is the engine mount rail spacing? Remember, if you plan to put in a main tank at the CG and a hopper in front of the engine you will want to leave enough room for a tank between the mount rails and the side of the boat. Mine has a 3" rail spacing and I barely had room for a 6 OZ sullivan oval tank. That is slow cure epoxy you are using! This is no place to cut corners and use 5 minute stuff. The 5 minute or any fast set epoxy for that matter, never gets a chance to soak into the wood before it cures. It may be OK in balsa construction where the wood is porous but stick to slow set where hard wood is involved. I like to use West Systems epoxy. It's a real slow set. I usually let it set for 24 hours. Also - lay some glass cloth in to reinforce the joint between the engine mount rails and the bottom skin after you have installed the mount rails. Run the cloth from the radio box bulkhead to the bulkhead in front of the engine. Both sides of the mount rails.