RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 03:17 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Stick LITE Done Right ..!

Chris - the best prop I have run on the 3W-24: During break-in a 3W 18x8, I then switched over to a bolly 18x10. If you have enough gear clearance, the MenzS 20x8 would also work on a broken in engine if you want less pitch. I liked the Bolly best - Loading was perfect, and midrange was excellent. Quiet too. The bolly prop is heavier, so it really helps on the low end idle... runs like a fine watch.

Chuck - I pretty much did a standard firewall (i.e. nothing special) but instead of using heavy hardwood tri stock and tons of fiberglass / epoxy (basically you goop it on because the old firewall was so far forward it was hard to control where the epoxy went) .. I used 1/4 high grade aircraft plywood and much smaller tristock than what H9 used. I pinned the firewall to the fuse sides using 1/16" piano wire 1/2" long, and then used a thin layer of fiberglass cloth and epoxy to mold it all together from behind. Since the firewall is much closer to the former, you are able to do a very neat job with the glass instead of the "glop" method. I am sure I have at least on clean picture of the back of my firewall. You also don't need to build a second firewall when you remove that heavy plate that comes with the engine as the firewall will be more than strong enough this way.

Hope this helps,
DP