RCU Forums - View Single Post - "Cottage Industry" Jets
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2003, 03:13 AM
SigKavalier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Cottage Industry" Jets

Sorry I miss typed what I meant. It was a response to someone elses statement about the less hi-tech air starting turbines. I.E. for me lower priced as there's no $130 electric starter kit. I've seen the AMT turbines, and they look nice. However unless the page with prices I saw was in australian dollars or something an electric start Wren is cheaper.
I was just saying short of waiting for a low priced used turbine to pop-up the Wren is about the cheapest entry into turbines and at $1700 roughly for the whole ready to run turbine it's quite steep for folks like me. Most used turbines I've seen for sale aren't much less than the new one's either.
They all seem to be the latest, and greatest. When a slighly older less effecient design for less $$$ being produced new would open things up IMHO. For example a DF engine/fan/pipe may run you $500 new, but a turbine capable of powering the same model new will run you over 3 times that much. The difference is a performance gain although a DF doing 150mph is fast enough, and the other difference is the sound of a real turbine.
With IC engines you have your standard engines, and then your top of the line hi dollar engines. The same with electrics. But with turbines all the new production turbines are top of the line unless you find and older used one.
If a manufacturer were to produce a older style turbine much like the ones people build themselves. In a ready to run package for say $1000 new I think it would open a lot of doors for new modellers looking to get in.