RCU Forums - View Single Post - A Ram750 Plus Air Start with 18 volt blower?
Old 12-14-2004, 12:45 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: A Ram750 Plus Air Start with 18 volt blower?

ORIGINAL: unknown

I think for an external engine setup like the hotspot or kangaroo jets it would be OK to use a blower. But for an internal engine setup. the blower would have to be too close to the compressor to be effective and god forbid the compressor stop turning during startup the fuel pump will still pumps fuel to the stall burning engine. Its very dangerous.
Sorry, but this is spoken like a man who doesn't know what he's talking about. You should perhaps stick to talking about what you know about - whatever that may be. The ECU WILL NOT pump fuel into the engine unless the RPM is high enough to start AND the EGT indicates that the propane is still burning. If EITHER of these measurments go below limits, the ECU shuts off the fuel pump, and as Tom mentioned above, if you're using a blower, and you get a wet start (which is not any more likely than starting with air) it will simply blow the flames out the tailpipe until the small bit of fuel that was spilt is consumed.

I have seen and started AMT's with blowers dozens of times and it works quite well, is easy if you know how to start the turbine in the first place, and does NOT produce wet starts on any that I have seen or done. The only two variables are will the blower spin the turbine to a high enough RPM, and will the propane delivery system being used keep the propane mixture rich enough to stay lit until the kero starts (if it can't, the propane will simply blow out because of the somewhat higher airflow and the start sequence just halts - no excess (or any) kero in the engine).

I agree with the others that the most straight-forward way to start the turbine is with an external air source, especially for someone new to turbines, but I'd bet that someone familiar with starting an air start turbine could start a RAM with a blower quite easily.