RCU Forums - View Single Post - ARF's versus KIT's the saga continues
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 03:58 PM
Crashem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF's versus KIT's the saga continues

Plus, all the kits I've built recommended glassing the joint, something you cannot do easily (or at all) with an ARF.
Thats I good point I did Glass my cubs wing. However on one of my first Eaglet 50's I built the elevator fell right off in the middle of level flight while my instructor was flying it (The older Hot stuff thin CA didn't work well with plastic hinges my instructor told me then he showed me how to use toothpicks to pin the hinges) I do this on any airplane ARF or kit. I wonder if part of the problem with ARFs is experience. I have made many mods to parts that I didn't deem "good" and I always replace the hardware in a kit or ARF with Sullivan or Dubro (I have had great luck with these products). A lot of the things being said about ARFS could possibly be attributed to lack of experience in building. I do not believe that a new comer will have as could an experience with their first plane ARF or Kit if they go it alone. I did and it was 6 eaglets later that the local hobby shop owner took pitty on me and took me to his club and taught me to fly. One of the first things that I tell people is to look for a club near you before you build/buy I know that the gentlemen that taught me in the summer of 1985 did more then teach someone how to fly they provided sound advice and skills that I use on every model today.

Maybe some of the master Kit builders could hook up with your LHS and provide a how to assemble RC Seminar or maybe a free Assembly Tip flyer.