RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jett engine, yes : which one ?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Jett engine, yes : which one ?

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

If I got it right, the supersport option is merely a shortened muffler ? Why isn't it stock ? I mean this option is a "must have" if it allows even a small RPM gain... What is the drawback ? A more touchy engine ?
The Jett mufflers are not just empty cans like other common mufflers, they are in fact "mini pipes"... They are part of the excellent Jett reputation when it comes to power. They funtion as a tuned pipe and are therefor tuned for a specific rpm band.
The stock .50 Jettstream muffler starts to kick in at about 16500 rpm, so you must prop the engine to run at 16500+ rpm.
With the shorter SS muffler the ideal rpm band shifts to 18000+ I believe.
The Quickie 500 muffler requires you to run the engine at at least 19000 rpm.
Propping the engine below the rpm band of the tuned muffler may result in slight overheating symptoms and more difficult needling behaviour.

So the SS muffler does not increase rpm on a big prop, but it allows you to use high rpm small props more effectively.
It all depends on what you intend to do with the engine, but remember that an SS equipped engine is not an ideal setup for pulling those bigger props. For that you will want the stock Jettstream muffler.

For a Diamond Dust I recommend you get a FIRE engine... it makes for a much cleaner setup.
With the experience I gained from my Webra .32 equipped Dust, I say that the Dust probably will work very well on APC 8.75" pylon props.

A rear exhaust on a Patriot will probably require quite a rebuild to get that tuned pipe mounted. A side exhaust SJ 50 will probably be the easiest "go fast" package you can buy.

On a Shrike, like on a DD, it is easier to incorporate a rear exhaust engine.