RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anyone build a flying lawn mower?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 03:21 PM
1911fan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone build a flying lawn mower?

I recently completed the V2 kit by flyingthingz.com and I am impressed with it. I mounted a OS .56SX up front. It flys best at about half throttle. Some advice I recommend is that you add a 1/8" or 3/16" shim behind the top of the motor mount to give it some down thrust. I have my model balanced as directed but it still likes to climb and fly very nose high under power. I know this is a trait of the design but it is much nicer to fly with the downthrust added. It puts the mower ata more realistic attitude. Also when completed as per the plan the servo tray sits so high in the fuse that the servo horns (and required hardware attaching linkages to he horns) rub the inside of the topcover, creating drag and scratching grooves in the wood. Other than that I used 1/4" ply for the handle brackets and I used a bunch of epoxy and 3 small button head screws at all the junctions on the handle assembly.

It is a crowd pleaser but it definatly requires a lot of attention in the air and I would say it is the hardest model to fly in my hangar. I have a video on my site that you can check out.

www.circledscenicrailroad.com

click the link on bottom left for "skycutter'

good luck,

Larry