RCU Forums - View Single Post - Westbury Hunter Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 11:19 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: Westbury Hunter Build Thread

After a month of no model activity while visiting the UK over Thanksgiving and getting ready for Christmas and having my parents over from the UK, the week between Christmas and the New Year has given me chance to get plenty of building accomplished.

It was time to start on the wings. The 4 different sets of 3-view drawings that I had, plus a 1/48th scale plastic model for reference all showed different wing geometries, particularly for the outer sections of the leading edge from the dogtooth extension. All had different sweep angles. I eventually took an air-air photograph which showed the planform, and scaled that up and corrected my full-size (model sized) 3-view drawing. The wings are very strong white foam cored with carbon top and bottom under obechi skins. I fitted the inner leading edges and profiled them and then added the outer leading edge extensions as a solid balsa block. The inboard and outboard profiles were provided on the plans and 2 sets of templates were made from 1/16th ply. These were glued onto the balsa leading edge block and carved to shape, generating a huge pile of shavings in the process. Once complete and sanded, the wings now have some washout built into them which should prevent (along with the sweep angle) any tendency to tip stall.

The tips were cut from a laminated balsa block with a layer of 1/64th ply sandwiched in between to provide a hard edge and maintain the profile.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78853.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	209569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95328.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	209570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96771.jpg
Views:	34