RCU Forums - View Single Post - Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ???
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 11:50 AM
cobrasnake302

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ?

I just bought a Firehammer and love it. This is my first experience with 1/5 scale. I have never drove or seen the similar FG in person, so I have no personal experience in comparing the two. I only used my firehammer 2 times. The first time I was going pretty slow for break in and the second time I had it out for about 25 minutes and was jumping a couple feet in the air over a small hill in a local field. The car is very fun and really tears up the grass when you give it full gas. I have a fuel mixture of 25:1 for break in and will soon be going to 40:1 mixture. I have not tuned any of the carb adjustments and it seems like it's not tuned for max performance and is still plenty quick. I have crashed it several times already and have never broke anything at all. I do recommend upgrading the controller for better adjustments as the stock cheap futaba is not the greatest, but it does the job. I have just switched to a JR XR3 that I had for my 1/8 scale cars and am switching the throttle servo with an extra servo I have for better response and stronger for the break. I have heard the servo is not the greatest for the steering and may eventually get a different one once I reasearch which one to get. I got mine at tower hobbies and used an ad number that was on their website for a discount, and paid $900 for the car, motor oil, filter oil, 8 AA batteries, TO MY DOOR, and that was with TAX because tower hobbies and myself are in Illinois, so it would have cost most people around $825 shipped and comes with a $15 gift cert. I can' t wait till the weather gets better so I can take it out again and I can't believe how great it is to have a tank of gas last 30min-1hr compared to the nitro cars with only 5-10 minutes of run time. I ordered the FG plastic cover for the electronics and plan to wrap the servos with electrical tape and wrap the reciever and use the plastic cover so I can drive is some really muddy wet conditions. Another thing that I heard is good is there is a warantee on most of the plastic parts like the suspension arms and if you break something they will replace it for free. I plan on buying a set of all the arms for backup in case I breake one so I can drive it while the others are being shipped for/from warantee. The spare parts price list on tower hobbies seems like most parts are pretty reasonablly priced too.