RCU Forums - View Single Post - Royal B17 kt
Thread: Royal B17 kt
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Rickles56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal B17 kt

OK, why don't we try to plan on meeting out there next Saturday. I am out of commision from having the tooth pulled this weekend and I am just finishing the set up on the B17. I can't wait to see your C-47 with the 4-strokes. Have you flown it yet with the new engines? I think 4-strokes really make a multi-engine sound great and fly more realistic. Wait till you see how I had to butcher my cowls to get them over the little 30's! I am going to run up and calibrate the engines on the B17 this coming week and see no problems going out next Saturday. Mike Said he would carry the beast out in his van, it's way to big for my car even though it's only 77". I did the break in on a quad test stand I fabricated, they sound great all running together!

Did I tell you I am starting a 139" Don Smith version? This will be my first attempt at true scale with a giant scale bird. I am going to scale it after the B17G that is owned by the 309th bomber squadron and keeps their plane at Pima Air and Space. Lots on great info on WWII aircraft in that building! I wanted to go with raw aluminum for the new one but that is beyond my abilities I am afraid. Glas and paint will do and still provide plenty of room for the scale needs. I have gathered a bunch of B17 data in the last 8 months inlcuding some detailed Boeing drawings of all parts of the ship. I need to quick learn how to use an air brush. I have read 3 or 4 books and looking for some videos but need to gather some knowledge from the experienced like yourself before I buy any air brush/sprayers.

Maybe we can get a couple of small (40 size) P51's or P47's to join in the formation flying?

Later,

Rick