RCU Forums - View Single Post - ParkZone Super Decathlon Review
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone Super Decathlon Review

I found a way to connect my watt meter using a series of adapters. The stock ParkZone connectors are not my normal choice for other planes.

The stock setup measured as follows using the 3.6oz, 600mAh, 7-cell pack:
[ul][*] 5.8amps, 43 watts, stock prop (perhaps an 8x6)[*] 5.8amps, 43 watts, GWS 9x4.7 SF prop[*] 7.0amps, 47 watts, GWS 10x4.7 SF prop
[/ul]

In essense, the stock setup, although properly designed, is a bit low in power for this plane at 36 watts/lb. The change to a GWS 10x4.7 prop provides an additional 10% more power but also taxes the motor more. This may be ok due to in-air unloading.

I also tried a few 2-cell Lithium packs with the GWS 10x4.7 prop:
[ul][*] 6.3amps, 40 watts using 3.0oz Kokam 1500mAh pack[*] 6.3amps, 40 watts using 1.6oz ThunderPower 860mAh pack
[/ul]

Of the two Lithium packs I tested, the lighter weight ThunderPower pack reduces the flying weight by 2oz or about 11% at 17.2oz.

While the plane would certainly fly easier in a calm summer morning, the cold temperatures in a New England winter season put greater demands on the power system. Perhaps a GWS 10x8 prop combined with a lighter 2-cell Lithium pack would supply the easiest upgrade for increased power and reduced weight. The upgraded power system could deliver about 50 watts/lb. with a lighter wingloading.