RCU Forums - View Single Post - Painting in the mold - Paint Question
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005, 02:59 AM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Painting in the mold - Paint Question

I finally had a chance to experiment with the Safelease / masking / painting (been OOT on business). I used 0.010" clear mylar for the test coupons. I first waxed them with Meguiar's Deep Crystal carnauba paste wax and buffed. The first is wax only, the second is wax / Safelease 20L (wax-based release liquid), the third is wax / Safelease 30 (PTFE-based release liquid). Neither formula contains any silicones or silanes that can 'play' with the paint's surface tension.

After allowing the Safelease to dry for about 30 minutes (overkill) I shot a tack coat from a pre-heated can of good (debatable) old (5+ years) Krylon gloss Blue on the three samples. Nothing odd occurred. The second coat was quite a bit heavier, the third coat was heavier still. The paint flowed nicely on coupons 1 and 2 and fisheyed a very tiny bit on coupon 3...probably due to too heavy of a coat or maybe a fingerprint. There was only a tiny difference between 1 and 2 and a slightly greater difference between 2 and 3. All results were comparable to Peter's Dolphin Wax test coupon (the 'good' one). I believe that the wipe-on release that Peter had used may have contained silicone...that would explain the horrible beading.

Next (currently drying) I decided to mask a test coupon. This coupon was carnauba wax and Safelease 20L. I used 3M fine-line tape AND the cheapest tape I had in my shop (some $0.25 / roll Walmart junk...of which I use copious amounts...but NEVER for painting) and masked a line and a small pattern. My work was quick and sloppy and I'm sure the results will reflect this! After painting the dark color (blue) the masking was removed. The cheap tape left behind a slight amount of adhesive on the Safelease...which was easily removed by sticking more tape to it an pulling. The Safelease, as predicted, was totally undisturbed. I then shot a mist coat of 'cold' Krylon gloss White followed quickly by a very heavy coat. I was trying to get it to fisheye but it didn't.

I'm going to let the paint cure overnight then hit it with some glass / epoxy / balsa tomorrow. I'll edit this post as I go...pictures will be posted soon.

I will get some Dolphin wax. What's the consistency like? I sure hope that it's not as 'sticky' as Partall wax during application. I seem to have problems with laying down WAY too much Partall wax...so I stopped using it years ago and went back to carnauba.

BTW, what kind of spray guns do you guys use? I just picked up two mini HVLP gravity-feed guns (Astro Pneumatic's version of the renowned SATA minijet) for cheap. One with a 0.8mm tip (for clearcoats) and one with a 1mm tip...I might get the 1.2mm tip version for primer/surfacers. I've never used HVLP equipment since I simply don't paint that much. Any tips from the pros?

-Tom