RCU Forums - View Single Post - Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ???
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 05:09 AM
Featherpluckin
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Duratrax FireHammer Good Or Bad ?

Another Firehamme own very cool. Got mine 2 weeks ago asnfd have had it out a couple of times weather permitting. Had to weather proof it using sdaran wrap and duct tape (dont you just love duct tape?). It was -9C when i took it out for the first time all fueled and ready top go. The first tank I spent just tooling around not going over halfthrottle just getting used to the controls, the sssize and the driving in the snow and ice. when i felt after abut 25 miniutes i waqsused to it and had it dialed in the way i wanted i brought it back in lor a fuel stop. I also changed the batteries for the receiver. Lastly i checked to make sure my weahterproofiing was holding up (it was) and off again this time though wow I hit the throttle and 2 giant rooster tails of snow and ice were flung 15 feet behind and 8 feet in the air and this thing took off like a cat with its tale on fire. I definitely need a larger school yard this thing ripps up grand like noting ive driven before. As for handling even on the snow oand iceit was totally wicked but am loking forward to a new set of tires so i can put some bolts in them for even more grip on the ice. AS for jumping? the school yard sits beloe a steep 4 foot high hill which becokmes the teachers parking lot. First few flights weree taek from the top at about 3/4 throttle and offit wentr like it had wings. I did notice it was a little bit heavy in the rear but that was controlable with a quick blip of either throttle or brake. After i had gotten that down to a science kit was time to takeit the other way going from the school ground up. I hit it with full throttle and wow it went about 8 feet in the air and for a disdtance of abut 20 feet beforew coming down slightly nose up. I then proceded to panick abit cut the wheelll to hard and rolled it 3 times. Nothing broke. after driivng around a bit more the engine quit (lack of fuel and that was it for the day(it was getting colder). Over all impression: Excellent. Acceleration excellent. Handling: Very good. Ease of use Excellent. Radio Equiptment: average to good. Bnag for the buck: Excellent.

What impressed me most: Great price, Size, completness of unit, Great duratrax documentation and instructions, 1 year stresstech gaurenttee, Ease of use no more annoying nitro routines, toughness of parts.

What can be improved: Radio equiptment While it is sufficienbt for bashing would like a bit more adjustibility. Steeering servo and throttle servo while again great for bashing probably not up to compitition, size (I may need another garage bay).

I have owned jacrabbits, fg vehicles and marders in the past. The Firehammer compares very favorably to any of them. Price wise it offers more bang for the buck then any of them(this also includes replacement parts cost). The one big advantage I found over the others was the jump handlling ability was supperior in that it does not have the beachball effect and bounce uncontrolably in situations. the drawback is that duratrax is not known for thier large size vehicles. Heres hoping that changes because the more competitors we have in the large scale format the better it will be for the hobby.

Thanks for reading

Garry