RCU Forums - View Single Post - Matt Chapman cap 580 .40 size
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Ace in the hole
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Matt Chapman cap 580 .40 size

Right now I have a top flight power point 14-8 on it. I put it on to help break it in, keeping the rpm's down. When I fly it I think I will start with a 13-8 or a 13-6 and see how it goes from there.

So you got the 100 on it, how's it look for the cowl? a lot of cutting to do for the valve covers & head?

I am experimenting with my exhaust right now. I don't have a lot more money to spend right now, so I custom made an exhaust out of some chrome plated tubing I had. I drilled and tapped it for the stock fitting from the muffler for the pressure tap. All you see is a couple of inches of the tubing sticking out the bottom where the cowl is already cut away. No muffler, just a strait exhaust. I was worried about the noise, but it turns out its not all that much louder if any at all. I am going to run a couple of tanks through it this way and see how it goes.

One other thing I replaced was the nylon wing bolts. I only use metal now since last flying season. One of my buddies had both the heads of his snap off in mid air! The wing separated and fluttered down to the ground while the fuse became a missile, and it was only 4th or 5th flight with the plane! Both of the studs were still screwed into the mount of the fuse (we could tell from the 200 pieces we picked up ) just the heads snapped off. After that, its only metal 1/4-20 's for me.