RCU Forums - View Single Post - bought a firebird scout, good looking plane
Old 02-02-2005, 09:11 AM
mrfixit54016

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bought a firebird scout, good looking plane

I have quite a few flights on my Firebird Scout also. I started with an Outlaw, and was so pleased with it that I handed that over to my son, and I bought the Scout for myself.

I have done a couple of simple mods that you may want to try. I have a regular Firebird / Firebird II prop on it now. It is longer than stock, but just clears the stab, so it works fine. It seems to have more top speed. Flight times are a bit shorter, but still not bad.

The speed was also helped A LOT by adding the Firebird II ST "Speed Wing" that they sell at the hobby shops as an upgrade to the II ST. It fits perfect on the Scout, and seems to handle the breeze better than the original wing. I bought mine in the red color so I could see the plane better against the winter sky here in Wisconsin. I have not tried this wing with the standard sized prop yet, but I would think that it should work fine.

Speaking of winter, if you are flying a Firebird in a snow covered field, you need to do two things. First, take off the landing gear so you can belly slide onto the snow. Second, buy some big 12" rubber party balloons at Walmart and take a scissors and cut the neck off of the balloon about 1" up from the end. Now you can stretch this over the nose of the plane to keep the battery lid shut when you dive nose first into the snow. If you don't do this, the lid will open up and scoop the snow right into the fuselage where all the electronics are. Getting that board wet will end your flying days quickly.

Oh yeah, and wear your mittens too...