RCU Forums - View Single Post - problem charging NiMH with Apache Smart Charger 2030
Old 02-08-2005, 05:41 AM
tjaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem charging NiMH with Apache Smart Charger 2030

Hi,

I recently bought an Apache Smart Charger 2030. This is a charger capable of charging 1-8 cell NiCd/NiMH or 1-3 cell lipo. I had no problems charging my 2s lipo. But when I charged my 7 cell NiMH birdseed pack (AAA 8.4V 750mAh) I encountered some problems.

I hooked it up as stated in the manual (I set the jumpers on NiCd/NiMH and a charge current of 750mA). All the right leds were lit (green power led, green NiCd/NiMH selection led and red charging led). After a while I could hear the battery venting and some moist came out of it. But the charger was still quickcharging (red charging led in stead of green full charge led). I unhooked the battery and let it cool down. Apparently it is still OK (since I could fly my heli like before). But it was my understanding that the charger should automatically switch to trickle when the charge is completed.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is my charger defective? Or can it be that the problem lies with my battery?