RCU Forums - View Single Post - Quality CAMCORDER
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 06:23 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Quality CAMCORDER

I have the Sony TRV-22. It does everything you specify; and, of course, is discontinued. I believe these things have shorter marketing cycles than computers.

The HC series replaced what I have, and they are already on their second generation of that model. Also, I'm told the sensor isn't as good, meaning less-quality video.

The Sony line one step above the HC series has probably got what you want. I'll second the top-shelf Sony quality; I have two Sony digital cameras and a Sony HDTV in addition to this camcorder, and they are all excellent. The Sony camcorders seem to get consistently better reviews in regards to the video quality, low-light performance (important when chasing a child around the house in the evening), and overall utility. From what I've read, Canon scores lowest in low-light quality video. I cannot stress enough the importance of this when doing "family" stuff. You can buy auxillary lights that attach to the camcorder, but then your work looks like the 16mm stuff your dad took when YOU were a kid.

The only problem I've found with mine is that the on-board microphone is too sensitive to wind noise when outside. This is easily rectified by PFM'ing a piece of open-cell foam over the mike grill. Looks a bit rough, but works like a champ.

One last caveat; be VERY careful when buying on FleaBay or from a bargain-house located in New York city. Lots of gray-market fleecers out there. I'll also second the recommendation of B&H Photo; a bit more $$, but genuine US-warranty merchandise and excellent service.