RCU Forums - View Single Post - O.S 1.60FX Owners. Post your tach readings
Old 03-10-2003, 09:24 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S 1.60FX Owners. Post your tach readings

Hi! I own 2 planes with TME Deluxe Smoke Systems/1.60FX's and both work great! I have 2 different mufflers and 2 different ways of getting the smoke.

First I have the Bisson pitts muffler with a home-made smoke coil inside the muffler made from copper tubing and JB welded in place. On the second plane, I have a Slimline Pitts muffler. All I did here was drill and tap an 8-32 hole on the manifold part of the muffler (just down from where the engine and the muffler mate), and install a pressure tap. Both work about the same. The latter was a much easier and clean setup. I tried to use the needle valve "clamp" they give you, but I find that by using medium neoprene tubing from the check valve to the muffler, it is just about the right flow.

IMPORTANT! I learned the hard way... no smoke below about 1/3 throttle! I choked my muffler while coming down from a loop and the engine quit! The landing was uneventful but could have made for a bad day. I'm trying to figure out how to program my smoke to automatically shut off below 1/2 throttle. Just in case I'm having too much fun and forget!

I use the MDW Aviation smoke oil that Tower sells. Good smoke trails. It drives the guys at the field nuts with envy!

Hope that helps!

Dave A