RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:24 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Jim, thanks. Unfortunately neither style looks exactly like the photos of the wheels on the Pfalz in the Datafile -- which I would describe as flatter with more of a peak near the hub. The pattern of the spokes through the covering also look a bit different. Also there is the obvious inspection hole (with spokes visible) that needs to be replicated. But then that's the advantage of making your own, you don't have to accept the stock look of someone elses wheels. Also the workmanship of this prototype pair is less than ideal. I need to get the wood really really smooth so that it look like metal. Also the cross-section of the rim isn't quite right.

Anyway, now that I have the idea (thanks to all you other kind folks) I can make the next set much more accurate looking.

I tried two types of 1/2" hose for the tires. On the ply wheel I used a kind of hollow rubberized foam. This was much to soft on its own so I slipped a piece of 1/8" hard rubber tubing into it. This is nice and light but I would worry about the longevity of it. It cuts and tears quite easily. The other is serious fabric reinformed heater hose (I think) That looks and feels very much like a a real tire. But it's a bit heavy and has absolutely no give to it. I'll continue to look around for some other alternatives. Plus this 1/2" material is just slightly on the small size. OK but 5/8" might look better.

BTW, I'm impressed with the painting on the CL-III. I'll definitely use the stencil approach if i ever get around to that LVG VI!