RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is my Pheonix 25 'tarded?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 12:21 AM
GordonFreeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my Pheonix 25 'tarded?

Last year I bought a Pheonix 25 and a Himax 2015-4100 for a hummingbird. The only experience I had with brushless was the Novak 5800 system. I don't know the definition of cogging, but I will assume it means the inability for a sensorless system to start or have proper control at low speed.

The hummingbird always had "cogging" problems. If throttle was applied, it would kick back and forth and never start up in one direction. The motor itself would run just fine, it was just when mass was added to the rotor. Didn't matter what settings the ESC was set to, soft-start, timing, ect...I always had to spin the rotor by hand and give it some throttle to get it started. OK, no big deal.

So I put the system in a 1/18 scale Xray car. Same deal, I'd have to push the car while holding a bit of throttle to get it started. By the way the car was ballistic! Ok, no big deal.

Now I have myself a Tensor. I bought the E-flight 370 1080kv motor for it. Guess what, same friggen problem. I can't even get a prop to start up, not even by spinning it up by hand. The only way I can get the motor (the outrunner) to run is without a prop AND to spin it up by hand.

Is this typical "cogging"? If so I can't believe how lame this sensorless stuff is. Do I have a bad speed control? If so, what is wrong with it? Why does it work once the motor is "up to speed"?

I don't care who or what is to blame, I want to understand what is going on here. Seems like this sensorless stuff is lightyears behind sensored. I simply want to have a system that works. I will buy whatever is needed for simple, trouble free operation.

Thanks.