RCU Forums - View Single Post - Quality CAMCORDER
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 12:25 PM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quality CAMCORDER

I bought my wife the Sony HC 40 for Christmas. Be aware that it literally shoots in the dark. It should; it has a built in IR beam. Also be aware that color in the IR mode is almost non-existent. There is another setting that allows somewhat better color with the first level of IR IF there is at least some reasonable level of ambient light.

I will also second Steve Campbell's warning. There are refurbished units, non-warranty grey market units, and non-English language units advertised on the net.

With some persuasion, I managed to get the local Best Buy Store to match the best real price I found. They did not like it, but they did it. Initially, just get the camera, and use it for a while. Perceived needs of things like a 2x lens may be found to be unwarranted.

Also, to reiterate a previously made point, these things change fast. Since Christmas, the HC 40 has already been replaced by the HC 42. Check the manufacture's site for the current model before purchasing, or at least get a great deal on a close out of the older model.