RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wing Loading
Thread: Wing Loading
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 04:07 PM
adam_one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wing Loading

The problem is, it ignores many significant & fundamental parameters of which loading is only one.
I never said that wing loading was the only parameter needed to determine flight characteristics...
The initial question above was about wing loading and as you may know the max recommended value depends on the airplane's size.
By calculating the cubic loading you get a figure that is not dependent on the plane's size and thereby easier to refer to model categories only.
Even if my max figures to pylon race category seem to be on the high side for the actual average and will need adjustment, I think it doesn't make the whole concept worthless as a guideline.

Calculations are fine but should be representative of real world data -
I thought that was the reason for the "cubic " scaling---
So far I don't see the correlation.
BTW - the 37 lb setup would hardly fly .
Dick, with 37lb your giant model would have a wingloading of about 48oz/sq.ft, which is 9oz more than the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_guide/newproduct.cfm?product_id=378]Matt Chapman's Cap 580 giant[/link] which has 39oz/sq.ft and weights 32lb.
Surely your plane would be on the heavy side, but with that big size, I think it still would be flyable.
Anyways, I did some adjustments to the table above.[8D]
Thank you guys for your inputs.