RCU Forums - View Single Post - G.P.Electric Sportster
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2005, 05:07 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: G.P.Electric Sportster

ORIGINAL: MrMulligan

If you're looking for a cheap motor upgrade, try the Kyosho Magnetic Meyhem for $20. It's not brushless but it's more powerful than the stock motor. I'm using one in a Great Planes Electrostreak. It's a great flyer and my second with this motor.
I am sorry but, I feel this motor is not a very good canidate for a light and rather small model such as the "mini" Super Sportster EP by Great Planes. As a matter of fact it is not even good for the larger version Super Sportster EP by the same company because:

You are welcome to try the Magnetic Mayhem but, let me tell you about this motor:

1. Tips the digital scale at a whopper of 8 oz without the gearbox.
2. The reverse Mayhem delivers 2100 RPM/Volt at best.
3. For the same or equal performance of a higher RPM/Volt motor it requires more cells (Voltage) such that the prop speed is adequate but, the smaller 4 X 5 and softer carbon brushes really can’t take too much AMP draw.

The only time I used the Magnetic Mayhem was about one year ago when I maiden my large 65.5 inch wing span, high wing sport trainer, World Models Sky Raider MACH-I that tips the digital scale at 5.5 lbs and it flew with the Magnetic Mayhem (reverse rotation) in the GD-600 gearbox (3.8:1 ratio) and 10-Cells, GP-3300mAH. Once I switched to the Endoplasma 16-turn that allowed me to fly the same model with just 8-cells, I have never looked at the Magnetic Mayhem, especially for a small wing span model such as the Super Sportster EP.

Your suggestive recommendation to use the Magnetic Mayhem in this model will produce a super high wing loading model such that at the slightest hard node over landing the Fuse may crack or completely break off.

A long Can Speed 400 or the Graupner 480 should be a better selection if you still like to keep it inexpensive.

Best of luck
Carlos