RCU Forums - View Single Post - fpe 5.8 with the shakes...
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fpe 5.8 with the shakes...

Back around 1991 when the Giant Scale races started at Madera I converted an A&M 5.8 Sachs...The owner put it on a steel trailer on a steel mount for testing..The A&M 5.8 was/is the KING of all vibrators..He couldn't believe the vibration..Mounting that thing on a plywood and balsa wood airplane would have resulted in complete destruction of the airplane..If anyone here remembers the A&M 5.8 Sachs they know what I mean...Mounting a vibrator like that on an airplane and hoping that the vibration would be absorbed by the plane is folly....I put a Sachs crank in that engine using the original bearings eliminated the problem, and as far as I know the bearings are still in the engine, they were not "wiped out" by running the engine on the steel mount..I subsequently changed many A&M 5.8 engines to the Sachs crank..Never replaced the bearings, never saw a bad one...If a vibrator like that can't wipe out the bearings it can't be done..Walker Machine ran a 4.2 Sachs (probably on a steel mount) for 1000 hours on a steel mount..NO measureable wear on anything but the rings.....
I agree to disagree...