RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:57 PM
zoomzoooie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Abufletcher, Reflex is a term used for the upward sweep of the trailing edge of an airfoil. Normal WWI airfoils are undercamvered and curve downward at the trailing edge. Reflexed airfoils curve upward. You can see this in the ailerons in side views. Flying wings use reflexed airfoils too.

I'd like to have been there building these crates,lol. I put a bit of thought into the best method they might have used to build these wings. One was that they just twisted the wing with flying wires. This will work for a consant airfoil wing. Our subjects also have reflex in the outer aileron ribs so twisting will not get the reflex result. The other though came from the Halb DII, is that they curved the rear spar to acheive the trailing edge droop and reflex. This sounds like to much work. I don't think they did it that way. The last and most likely is that the rib shape changed to acheive the various washouts and reflexes.

When I designed my wing panels I kept the airfoil the same and changed the ribs to curve after the rear spar, up or down the amount needed to get the correct washout and reflex in the ailerons. From the under side of the LE and TE of the root rib set at the correct incedence, set the tip to the correct final washout/Reflex. I stared a lot at the pics I had to find the place to put the details. It's about the best thing without factory deawings.

I attached pis of my Pflaz DIIIa. They aren't great but hope you can see. They are vintage plans, I think from the '60's. They don't have much info on them but the initials D.J.M. on the lower left corners.

Take a look at the thread where I showed a drawing of how I did my Halb wings.

ZZ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20276.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	238112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24479.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	238113