RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tx Rx crystal/freq mystery
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 09:50 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tx Rx crystal/freq mystery

Yes, you got a lecture, because what you are doing, changing tx crystals, is wrong.

There's more to safe radio operation than a simple range check. I watched a 1/4 scale model crash 3 weeks ago on its first flight. Range check worked fine, but he got all sorts of glitches once it was in the air. He managed to get it back to the runway, but not in one piece.

You never did answer whether you did or DID NOT inform the buyer that you illegally changed the crystal. I wonder if he also flies in the middle of nowere? I wonder if anyone's plane has been shot down by the radio you illegally changed? People thinking about buying second hand transmitters should keep this thread in mind. At the very least, compare the crystal number to the one on the radio. Even better, send it in for a complete check before trusting your plane to it.

It's nice that you have justified breaking the law in your own mind. The value of RCU is that people can learn here. Hopefully others reading this post, who might not have known, and who have respect for their fellow modellers, have learned that there is a reason for the FCC regulation that transmitter crystals should only be changed by an authorized technician.

No doubt you will have another insightful reply. Please do read the RCU Policy statement (that red text just above the text box) BEFORE you flame me a second time.