RCU Forums - View Single Post - Resetting Hitec Digital servos
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2002, 05:08 PM
moses

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resetting Hitec Digital servos

Mike, I just thought I would say - ouch !!! ... that hurt. No programming though an extension <head dropping onto desk and making loud thud>.

Seriously though, I think this an important issue. I just bought six 5625 servos and the Hitec programmer (the credit card is still smoking). I’m planning on using these in a 90 size kit that I’m just finishing up. I need to point something out.

I will have no problem with initial programming of the servos - I will do this before the plane is even covered. This particular plane has tail grouped servos. Once the plane is covered, there will be extensions on all the servos except throttle. The extensions will range from about 12” to 24” - I’m still working this out. I will have easy access to the receiver and had planned to couple in the programmer in place of the receiver - as I expect most people would.

After the initial flight - in order to tweak the programming I will have to remove the servos ! But, running those servo hold-down screws in and out is just asking for a crash. This will be absolutely required for the aileron servos. Those balsa and/or ply threads can only tolerate a finite number of cycles before they loosen - I don’t want to find out how many.

For the tail grouped servos, I could theoretically cut a hatch in the fuse somewhere near the tail of the plane (due to the design of this particular plane, I’m not likely to do this either). So … the programmer is not going to get much use. This is too bad, I was looking forward adjusting the programming on these servos.

I sure hope you guys figure this out quickly. It is important that the programmer be operable though an extension. The unit should be able to verify that programming was successful and notify the user of the results (i.e., successful or unsuccessful programming). If I knew that I could not program though an extension, I would not have bought the programmer (I still probably would have gotten the servos though).

I will program the servos directly for now. Please keep us posted on whether programming though an extension is really a problem.

Thanks,
Moses