RCU Forums - View Single Post - Resetting Hitec Digital servos
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2002, 07:58 PM
moses

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resetting Hitec Digital servos

WreckRman2 … Bingo ! I guess I will be doing a bit of testing on use of the programmer. I’m really not that nervous about it. I think it will work. My plane is worth substantially less than AJF 2’s - perhaps $1000 including the engine and electronics. So I figure what the heck. If these Hitec servos do what I think they will do - I will be dancing.

I needed servos that were fast, and strong (in the 80-100 oz-in range). I also wanted accurate centering and positioning. Particularly on the elevator since my elevator is split into to halves - using one servo per side. Without good servos that are relatively precise, the elevator will introduce roll - not good. These 5625 servos are perfect - and they are the right price - $55. You all now what happens when you price out the corresponding Futaba stuff - at least $100. Pretty much the same thing with JR. So I end up saving $250 to $300 by going with the Hitec servos - that is a good chunk of cash.

Anyway, I already reset one of my servos when I got my programmer. I did this because the programmer instructions said to do it. There is no turning back now - I might as well reset them all. As for programming, it occurred to me that I will likely only check/adjust the deadband. All of my linkages will be direct and short. No ganged servos - so I can probably keep the deadband at the low end of the range. My radio will pretty much do everything else. I will be using a Futaba 9C and a PCM receiver. I will probably not need to adjust the atv much over 100% - since I will probably change out the servo arms until I get the initial throws that I want.

I currently have version 1.02 firmware in my programmer (darn - even though I just got it). First I’m going to have my programmer upgraded to version 1.03. Then I’m going to reset and program all of the servos - without extensions of course. Then everything is going to work - no lock-ups or anything - I have decided this already <the power of positive thinking …>. Then, I’m going to test everything on the ground extensively (with and without the engine running). Unfortunately, it will take me a while to complete the plane, so you all will just have to wait for the results.

Hopefully, we will have some more answers from Hitec on the whole extension issue. I’m not going to try programming though an extension until Hitec says it’s OK. Hopefully, I won’t need to do much programming after the plane is completed.

Moses