RCU Forums - View Single Post - LE slats and flaps-worth the effort?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 11:47 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LE slats and flaps-worth the effort?

Size does matter, then! So many planes, so little time. I have a Fiesler Storch about 80% built, lack one aileron and one LE slat, about a 7' ws. Anxious to see how it flies. Stagnation point again (my post on 'stall warning device')! I did not , unfortunatly, take any pics of the bottom portion of the slats on the Ford when I was at Pensacola NAS. Therefore, I can't mentally grasp the engineering design ( I'll have to do alittle more research on this). I recall reading they welded some of those slats shut-problematic in combat. I think this was concerning Korean War vintage jets though. Reynolds numbers: can someone explain simply how they equate to 'models' in a practical sense- never did understand this. The SU flaps appear to be straight hinged along the bottom (Modern Military Aircraft Anatomy) and look to move down about 40 degrees-based on pics. There was video of the SU 35 here a week or so ago-in'Jets', I think, what an amazing aircraft! Mike: I will visit your sight again, I forgot about it. All this poses an interesting dilemma though: How scale is scale? Looks like a whole range of things to do some serious research on. Our planes are getting bigger, faster and more sophisticated, up to and including UAV stuff-check out some of the projects over at RC-Cam forum sometime. Then there are the nano-tech craft. I have pretty well set up the SU wing to cut the flaps out, so I think the flaps are a definate go. The Ford slats, I'll pray over a bit longer-that damn stagnation point again! Damn interesting stuff!