RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pattern start
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Xrod
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pattern start

I have asked for a coach and a mentor. This has not happened. If I ask for help it comes in the form of "your loops aren't round" or things like that. You say that pattern flyers won't just give out information to just anyone. Why not? You have a guy that is flying a pattern plane, flying pattern sequence, and is obviously new and is making mistakes. I just don't get it. I guess part of the problem is that I am active duty military, and they don't want to "waste" time on someone who will eventually move. (To another District) I watch the NSRCA forum, but don't post because they are the "good ol' boys" and I shouldn't intrude without being a member. Why would I want to join? If I did, then would I be able to get coaching and mentoring? Is this the kind of organization that I want to be a part of? I will probably always fly a pattern plane because I love the way they fly. I will always fly pattern because I love the discipline and precision. I will not be competing or joining the NSRCA because the old timers are not receptive to new people in my experience. Unless something changes here, pattern will die. The pattern community needs to recruit new people, and mentor them actively in order to keep them. Trying to learn the sport by yourself is a slow process, full of discouragement. Don't get me wrong. I am not looking for someone to hold my hand here. But it would be great to have someone take an active interest in my flying...help me with trimming, call and critique my performance, so that I could make improvements. Ocala contest is coming up and I'm not even sure if my manuevers look like what the rest of the country is flying or not, I only have a description from the AMA rulebook. I think this is shame.
By the way, one of the flyers is an officer of the NSRCA!