RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pattern start
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 11:37 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pattern start

I didn't really have any when I started. Nobody even looked at me until I built my first 2 meter plane. Then I guess they figured I was serious, and I found myself swarmed with help.

Thing is, I just said screw it and just WENT to my first contest with one goal in mind: get through the rounds and bring it home intact. I did that....and got 2nd place out of 9. I got plenty of help on practice day, and when I drove home, I had seen every manuever flown very well from sportsman through FAI. I understood roundness, straight lines and centering. I learned how to size things and manage the box. I knew all of these things, but that didn't mean I could do it. So I just did what I knew: flew smooth and consistent, and it got me a hard fought 2nd my first time out.

But I didn't realize how much I was missing until I entered my first contest. Raw, 9 days of practice TOTAL. The plane was also 9 days old. Everything was fresh and I just threw caution to the wind and jumped out there. I am SO glad I did.

Also realize some people are GREAT flyers, but they suck at teaching. These are the guys who can tell you in detail what you're doing wrong, but have a hard time explaining how to fix it. I'm like that to some extent. Given enough time and patience, I can help people straighten up thier manuevers. But communication is sometimes difficult until the newer pilot gets to the point of understanding some things. So, I just wallow through and try and learn as I go. Sometimes I get help, sometimes I don't. Doesn't matter, I love the plane, the challenge, the pressure I put on myself, the glory of victory and the agony of defeat. I love it all. And so many of the regulars down here are such cool people. Which is why I'm having a hard time understanding someone being ignored. Not to say I don't believe it, it's just difficult because I haven't yet seen it for myself.

Anyway, just a thought.
-Mike