RCU Forums - View Single Post - A-10 Project
Thread: A-10 Project
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 02:33 PM
pdmarsh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A-10 Project

Hi Doug,

Just a note to you and others reading your thread regarding the Miller plans. While you started with the wings, I started with the tail. I had to recut three fin ribs that are drawn wrong on the plans. Also, the main spar in the horizontal stabilizer is drawn twice, once as a pattern and once within the stab. I initially cut from the stab and found it was wrong. I had to recut it from the pattern, which I guess I should have done in the first place. However, given that the stab is perfectly straight, there should have been no difference. When it comes to the fueselage sides, you absolutely must cut from the pattern as the drawing of the finished plane seems to take curvature into account, as it should.

So far, the fuselage sides, bottom and formers seem to match very well. I'll be assembling them soon. I did run into a problem with the sidewall cutouts for the stab, though. There's no wood left above the stab, which effectively cuts off the last few inches of the fuselage sides. I added some wood back above where the cutouts will be, which I'll carve down later after it's all assembled.

I still plan to build up the wings, but I guess we'll see if I can manage it. As you've discovered, the Miller plans leave a bit to be desired. If this plane ever gets kitted, as has been said, I hope they fix these glitches.

Keep up the good work.

Paul

Major edit! I thought I had this wrong as I wrote it. The pattern for the main spar of the horizontal stabilizer is drawn wrong. I cut from the pattern then matched it up to the plan of the stab with ribs. It was too short and the rib placement didn't line up. I recut the spar from the plan.