RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:16 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

I just got the Pfalz DIII datafile (#107) and it's full of interesting extras like scans of original historical documents. One thing I was surprised to read though was the notes of fuse construction. It says the fuse was constructed with the "wickelrumpf" method of wrapping strips of ply -- which I knew -- but that this was done over a mold and then the two halves were nailed onto the fuse formers (then covered). I had assumed the ply strips were applied directly to the frame. It states that 2 layers of 1mm thick three-ply veneer was used. Combined with fabric glue and dope that's probably no more than about 4mm which is pretty amazing! The owner of Pfalz claimed that this couldn't be dented with a hammer!

Guess I'll need to start carving out a half-fuse mold! What do you guys suggest? Blue foam covered with glass? I can use negative templates of the fuse formers to get the shape right.

Actually I'm almost tempted to do the DIII rather than the DIIIa --- but the DIIIa's external MG's are just so much cooler!

Oh, by the way, the mysterious "other hole" on the wheels opposite the inspection hole looks like it might be the Pfalz company transfer according to the cover artwork on the new datafile.

Trev, yeah, I was a little surprised by the longer half-ribs as well. The apparently extend all the way back to the second spar. Also I notice that the new datafile mentions that the wing center section was covered with ply.

PS. Zoomzooie, your rib stitching tape looks like an interesting product. I've been dreading having to do this the traditional way!