RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:46 PM
zoomzoooie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Instead of trying to carve out a block of something why not use the scale formers and make your form from them. That way you keep the outlines scale. Lay sheeting as you would normally do on a second set of formers and glass it. Then just cut it in half and there is your accurate forms to wrap your vineer on. This form will make it easy to clamp or pin the ends of the veneers to.

I see a possible problem though, laying the first vineer layer down and keeping it in place. I don't see that glue would be used at that stage. Do you know the degree to set the vineers at? Also you will need a way to press the vineers down while the glue dries. You could make up female mold to go over it.

One thing to note though is that you will have to reduce the outlines of the formers to reduce the difference of the glassed sheeting so your vineer outline is in the correct place.
My plans call for 3/32" sheeting so for example, if I were to use 2 laminatations of 1/32" ply sheeting I would reduce the former outline about 3/32" for the 1/16" ply lay up and about 1/32" of glassing to bring the outline to the correct place. I wonder if two laminations of 1/64" ply would be strong enough? Definitly lighter.

I can see possible added weight glueing up the ply laminations. Maybe it might be better to use balsa sheeting for the vineers and light glassing or just a coat of resin without the glass. All that glue will add weight. This method might be better reserved for larger scales.

What type of glue would you use to lay up the laminations?

ZZ